Choosing the Right Boxes for Your Move
Everything you need to know about moving boxes
You can’t move without boxes. But picking the right ones and getting enough for your move — that can feel overwhelming. With so many choices online and in stores, how do you know where to start? We’ll help you figure out what you need so you can start packing.
Figuring out how many boxes to buy
Before you order moving supplies, estimate your needs with this chart:
Note: If your home has more to pack than the average home, you may want to go up one column to make sure you have enough.
|Type of Box||1-2 Rooms||2-3 Rooms||4-5 Rooms||6-7 Rooms||8-9 Rooms|
Having a variety of boxes means you’ll always have the perfect one for every item. Here are some you may want to have on hand:
Standard box sizes
Moving boxes typically come in sizes from small to extra-large.
- Small — Measure around 16″ x 12″ x 12″. These are ideal for packing things like books, CDs and DVDs, and kitchen gadgets.
- Medium — Measure around 18″ x 16″ x 18″ and are great for things like towels and decorative items.
- Large — Measure around 18″ x 18″ x 24. They hold items like small appliances, bedding, drapes, and smaller pillows.
- Extra-large — Measure around 24″ x 20″ x 24″ to hold big, lightweight items like comforters, pillows and sports equipment.
Specialty boxes are ideal for oddly shaped items or those that need extra protection.
- Wardrobe — A big box with a rod across the top for hanging clothes (tip: place shoes, belts and purses in the bottom).
- Dish pack — Medium-sized with partitions to hold fragile things like cups and mugs.
- Mirror & Picture — Thin, flat and designed to hold artwork and mirrors. These are typically adjustable to fit a variety of sizes.
- TV — These are designed to protect flat-screen TVs — most will extend to fit a 32”-70” TV.
- Lamp — Made to protect lamps and other tall items.
- Office/file — Small to medium boxes that usually have handles and removable tops.